This is not the traditional Monday post. Warning: You will not learn a thing about sustainability today.
We need to just come to terms with the fact that, somewhere between my sophomore year of college & now, I began truly, madly, deeply failing at Mondays. I didn’t do the work I was supposed to do, but as usual I did accomplish some other things:
- WATCHING MAD MEN SERIOUSLY WHAT IS HAPPENING OMG I CAN’T EVEN BEGIN TO… wow.
- Reading this fascinating article about salt. No seriously. Gary Taubes dishes about the health benefits of this controversial ingredient.
- Using up greens in a kale-potato soup that I highly recommend. Just make your usual potato soup recipe. And then purée half of it with steamed kale. And then eat it with fresh bread & feel really good about your life choices.
- Realizing that I’m lactose intolerant. Not sure how to deal with this one, & I’ll post more about it later… but this is the first day in several weeks in which I have not consumed dairy. It is also the first day in several weeks that I have not had to lay down & take a quick nap because every movement made me want to vomit. I thought I was pregnant, then I thought I was having the worst bout of PMS of my life. Then I realized that I couldn’t remember the last time I just felt, well, good. So, I’m cutting back on animal products in a serious way.
- Working out. Did I mention that I registered for a 5k? That’s right. I’m going to learn to run a mile. And then, in the middle of summer’s hottest heat, I’ll run three of them. (Wu-huuuuut was I thinking?) But whatever. I’ll walk it. This is by far the coolest 5k in the world.
- Practicing the ukulele. That’s right! Finally! I’ve spent the last few days learning what “strum patterns” & “major chords” are. I’ve listened to “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” roughly 900 times. Next goal: a duet.
So. I did not work as much as I should have, but for the first Monday I can remember I feel good about life, she says, biting her nails as she looks at the long to-do list set for the days ahead. I hope your week started off well. See you Wednesday, where I’ll blog about tomorrow’s adventure: delivering our first hive of bees to the Orchard!